How to Make a Perfect Brand
This video and the following steps will help you make a perfect brand using our Electrically-Heated SP-Series Handheld branding irons.
Our electrically-heated branding irons are perfect for making consistent brands. This is especially important when you need to apply multiple brands in one session. There is no need for an open flame and you can create your brand anywhere you have access to an electrical outlet.
To get started, you will need:
- A workspace, table or bench away from flammable materials
- A power outlet
- Your SP Handheld Series Branding Iron and Heating Element
- A smooth piece of scrap wood or leather – similar to what you’re branding – for making practice brands
- A clean, flat, and level piece of wood for a backing board beneath the work you are branding
- The smooth wood, leather, wax, or plastic product you plan to brand
- Optional: Our light duty temperature controller
How to Make a Perfect Brand
Make a perfect brand using our electrically-heated, SP-Series Handheld Branding Irons.
- Attach the branding head while the heating element is cool, using the set screw in our SP-Series electric heating element.
- Preheat the branding head for about 20 minutes.
- Place your practice material on the backing board.
- Hold the branding iron perpendicular to the material you’re branding and lower it to rest level on the material to be branded.
- Apply light to medium pressure, using a slight rocking motion to ensure you’re making contact with all parts of your heated branding iron with the area you’re branding.
- Make several test brands to find the optimal pressure and length of time (“dwell time”) to make a clear, legible brand.
Optimal Temperature Control
If you need to brand several items in one session, a temperature controller will keep your brands even more consistent. Here are a few of the advantages of using our light duty temperature controller with your SP-Series handheld branding iron:
- Our temperature controller provides a safe and effective way to keep your electrically heated branding head at a constant temperature.
- Consistent results for perfect brands every time
- Simple plug-in operation
- Variable heat settings for different types of wood, leather, plastic, acrylic (Plexiglass), or other brandable materials
- 1800-watt capacity
- 120 volts
Non-Stick Spray for Branding Soft Materials
If you are branding rubber, plastic, acrylic, wax, or other soft materials, we recommend using industrial grade non-stick spray. You can purchase Sprayway® non-stick spray directly from our web site. This product is a dry coating lubricant that promotes even heating and prevents your branding iron from sticking to surfaces like rubber and plastics.